Garlicky Cod Rice Bowl
I woke up yesterday morning craving sautéed kale and black-eyed peas. It was one of those cravings that no matter what you do, you just can’t shake it. Add some warm, buttery brown rice and the lightness of wild-caught cod and you’ve got yourself a drool-worthy bowl.
After having Leo, meal prepping became some kind of a joke; some weeks I’d get it, while other weeks (aka most weeks) it was way over my head. Enter the glorious Instant Pot. This is literally one kitchen essential that every single family should have. Slow cookers are great but when you’re starving AND you have mouths to feed, you need something quick and you need it now. I’m looking at all the hot mess moms out there. I see you. I feel you. I am you.
With this recipe, you could put everything but the fish in the Instant Pot and boom, your meal will be ready in about 30 minutes. I decided to make the rice in the Instant Pot and sauté the kale and black-eyed peas in a separate pan so I can add those to quinoa throughout the week if I want to.
You do whatever works for you!
- 2 pieces thawed, wild-caught cod
- almond flour for dusting the cod
- 2 cups sprouted brown rice
- 3 cups water or bone broth
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- One 8-ounce bag of frozen organic kale (I used Earthbound Farm)
- One 15.5-ounce can organic black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, crushed and minced (or less if you’re not into garlic or if you’re a vampire)
- 1 white onion, chopped or sliced (whatever you prefer), divided
- Himalayan pink salt (or sea salt) and pepper to taste
- Some oil for sautéing
** can also add some garlic powder if you want to give it a little extra punch**
- Okay, you can do 1 of 2 things: you can add everything but the cod and the almond flour to the Instant Pot, stir it until it’s mixed well OR you can cook the rice and beans separately from the rice. If you want to do it altogether, simply add the lid, make sure it’s set to “seal” and not “venting” and cook on high pressure for 28 minutes.
- Meanwhile… crank your oven up to 420 F. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to a cast iron skillet (or an oven-friendly skillet) and add half the onions and pop that into the oven while it’s preheating.
- Lightly coat the cod with almond flour, salt, pepper.
- Once the oven is preheated, remove the skillet, add the cod to the skillet and bake for about 15 minutes or until it’s opaque and flakes easily with a fork.
- Once the Instant Pot goes off, you can either let the pressure naturally disperse for 10 minutes OR, if you’re impatient like me, you can carefully switch the nob from “seal” to “venting” and allow the pressure to release. Once it’s finished, remove the lid and serve up some garlicky kale rice and beans and top it with a piece of cod and some caramelized onions.
If you want to cook the greens and beans separately, go for it! I just sautéed them together over medium heat with a little bit of oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder!
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, don’t fret! You can cook it on the stove top according to the package instructions.
I hope you find this bowl as hygge and comforting as Adam and I did. Definitely making on repeat all season long.