Mama’s Secret Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Everybody’s mama, meemaw, aunt and sister has one. The secret family recipe that’s passed down from generation to generation. There’s something about a homemade chocolate chip cookie recipe that has me making 4 batches just to get through the week. Do I have a sugar addiction? It’s possible. BUT these cookies will change your life AND they don’t have a ton of sugar.
Mama’s Secret Recipe:
Time: 15 (ish) minutes
Makes: Depends on how big you want to make your cookies, but usually 8-10
- ¼ cup grass-fed butter, room temperature (coconut oil works, too)
- ⅓ cup maple or date sugar (or whatever sugar you have on hand, I guess)
- 1 egg (1 chia egg or 1 flax egg works, as well)
- 2 tablespoons nut butter of choice (I used natural peanut butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt (or sea salt)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch (tapioca starch works well, also)
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon Bob’s Red Mill Paleo Flour Blend (you can also use a gluten-free all purpose flour if you’re feelin’ fancy)
- 1 dark chocolate bar (70% or higher), chopped (or ¼ cup dark chocolate chips)
- Preheat your oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper OR grease it up with some coconut oil and set aside.
- Grab two bowls from your cupboard and a whisking fork (if you have one) and add the first 5 ingredients in one bowl. Whisk it up until it’s nice and blended.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the chocolate bar/chips, to the empty bowl, doing the same.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk with all your might until it’s perfect.
- Fold in those chocolate chips, and try your hardest not to taste the batter.
- Use a spoon to drop the batter onto the baking sheet, until there are about 8-10 cookies evenly spread.
- Pop those suckers in the oven and let them bake for 10-12 minutes (for gooey cookies, 10-11 minutes is the sweet spot).
- Let ‘em cool for 5 minutes… it’ll be hard, trust me, because the smell will fill your house and if you have roommates, a spouse, kids… they’re going to want in on the action.
- Repeat steps 1-8 AT LEAST 3 times so you have enough to get you through a few days.
- Dream about steps 1-9.
Now that I’ve given you my secret chocolate chip cookie recipe, you owe me. Just kidding. But seriously, take these to your next party and thank me later. And if you do end up trying them, comment below and let me know what you think!
p.s. love yourself as much as you love cookies.